Tuesday, May 13, 2014

My Lack of Sympathy (Please don't judge me, nevermind I don't care what you think, so go ahead and judge away)

     I love my husband and kids I really do. I just can't seem to deal with them when the are sick AND whiny. I do what is needed to take care of them and make sure they are okay but for some reason the moment they start to whine and complain is the moment that I loose my patients. 
     Yes I understand being sick sucks and yes I understand that you don't feel well (see I have empathy). When I am sick and don't feel well all I want is to be left alone and to be able to sleep. My husband and kids on the other hand seem to need constant attention when they are sick, and not because there is an intimidate need, but just because.
     CJ is by far my most whiny when he is sick. Last night he vomited a few times and in between he just whined and moaned and cried. I didn't mind getting up in the middle of the night and helping him clean up the mess or getting him a drink but as soon as I heard the moaning and crying I lost it. I told him to "shut up, stop whining and go back to bed." (see no sympathy). Not my finest moment as a mother, I know that. I could try and blame it on my lack of sleep but the truth is I hate it even when I am fully rested and it is the middle of the day.
     Colt has been getting better and becoming less and less needy when he is sick as the years have gone on. I don't think it has been by his choice, but because of the frustration and complete annoyance he can read on my face. I love him and want him be healthy and well but that doesn't have to include whiny so everyone knows you don't feel well (trust me I already know).
   Like a character on one of my favorite shows (Grey's Anatomy) recently said "There are two kinds of sick men: the kind like Jackson who go and crawl under a rock, stoic and stubborn, and men like Ben, who turn into total babies."  She continues on by saying "Count your blessing that he is the first one."
To the future spouses of my children, I am trying very hard to make my children like "Jackson" when they are sick. I am trying to teach them to suck it up, toughen up, and just get through it and move on. I hope one day you will thank me for this, because the other option is so obnoxious. If I am not successful with this I apologize and wish you the best of luck.

Until next time, I love you C,M,B,C,E, and L!   

No comments:

Post a Comment