Tuesday, May 7, 2013

7th Week A Critique (1 of 2)

Well we as a family have enjoyed Boise. We got to see and do many different things. Week 7 was our last week in the beautiful city of Boise. The kids and parents have learned a lot about ourselves, each other, our family, and the traveling life style.


Here is what the kids said they learned:

  1. We keep growing up and getting bigger no matter where we are. (Malayna)
  2. You can always learn about something when you go for a walk. (Bobby)
  3. I learned to swim! (CJ)
  4. That I am a big girl. (Eva) 
I learned a lot about a lot! I will try my best to explain my lessons learned. Here it is:
  1. Choose to be happy!  I have learned that for the most part 'happy' is a choice. This life style was not our ideal. Hitting the road with 5 kids and living in a hotel was not what we wanted. Being in a new place with no friends or family is hard. With all the things that were out of our control the one thing that was always up to us was how we reacted. So from the moment we started our adventure and with all the other ways I could have felt about it, I choose happiness. It was not always easy but everyday I woke up and made the choice and made a deliberate effort to be happy! 
  2. Be a friend and make friends! I am a very social person. The hard part about our journey is that we know we wont be at any place for very long. Which is why I am so thankful for our church and that no matter where we go it is the same. I am lucky to belong to a world wide organization of women called Relief Society. I have built in friends where ever we go. Before when we have moved to a new place, I would just sit back and people watch for a few weeks and see who would come to introduce themselves. Now knowing that we will be gone in a short while there is no time to mess around. Right away I was talking to everyone offering my time and service in anyway I could. Making plans to get together for dinner or lunch. I will now be leaving ID with fun memories and new friends.
  3. Everyone needs a space that is just theirs, no matter how small. With a family of seven in a hotel, space was very limited. Adults and kids alike each need a place that is theirs. We used to have our own spaces (rooms, beds, toys) in the house but we can't do that now. Colt and I are used to sharing all of our space but hey that's what being married is about. The kids on the other hand had a hard time with this. There really is no sense of personal space in our family anymore. The kids (minus Lindy) all shared a king size bed. With your brothers or sisters arms or legs or elbow in your ribs or on your face 'my space' became very important to them. They each had one dresser drawer that was theirs no one was allowed to touch it or the things that were in it. This was where they kept their things. 
  4. Things are just that, Things! I thought it would be a lot harder to live with out all of my things. My kitchen things. My craft things. My bedroom things. My hobby things. My electronic things. My home things. My kids' play things. I have learned that we really don't need so many things. There are a few things that I really miss but all of them I can (really I can) live with out them. We brought a few 'things' with us like clothes, laptops, tablets, cameras, stuffed animals, school stuff, a few little toys that the kids picked and legos. Colt has asked each of the kids this question...."How does it make you feel to know that everything you own fits into this one suitcase?"  They always answer with a smile on their face and the answer always seem to be something like "wow I have a lot of stuff" (perspective). I have often pondered this question but with "everything I own fits into my car", and I am not yet at the point of answering with a smile or thinking that this is all I want. Maybe it is because I know that all of my things are in a storage unit waiting for me. But I really do know that I have everything I NEED!
  5. Home is where my husband and kids are! When Colt was traveling by himself and the kids and I were with out him, no place felt like home. Not Colorado, not Las Vegas. Yes, we called them "home" but they never felt like that when Colt was gone. Now that we are together as a family home is where ever we are. Home was Idaho while we were there, and on our drive to our next place home was in our suburban and for now home is in Montana. Next our home will be.......? 
  6. I can sometimes miss cleaning. SOMETIMES! LOL! Yes! Just a few times I wished that I had a vacuum cleaner or that I could sweep. Even one time wanting to clean the bathroom. Crazy right! I know! I am afraid that my kids will forget how to clean. Maybe I can send them to work with the house keepers ;) But in all reality I do love going out for an afternoon and coming back to new sheets and made beds, fresh towels hanging in the bathroom, clean toilets, everything dusted, carpets vacuumed and once in a while if I was in a rush the dishes done. You know what never mind I don't miss cleaning! 
  7. All we have and really need is our family. This was a big lesson learned for me this week. We celebrated our little Lindy's first birthday this week. In the Mexican culture first birthdays are a big deal! Each of the other kids had huge first birthday parties with friends and family, themes, activities, decorations, the works! So I was having a very hard time thinking that her birthday would just pass us by and that we wouldn't remember it. I was also sad that my Lindy (my last baby) was not going to get her huge birthday party. I wanted to do it all, she is my last baby after all but that just wasn't how it could be. So we got a cake and some balloons. Then made our way to the park just us as a family. You know what, we had a great afternoon with Lindy as the center of attention. Reflecting on that day I realized that that is what a birthday is supposed to be about celebrating the life of the birthday girl and what a gift she is to our family. On the other hand watch out because her 5th birthday is going to be insane!
This is just a few things that I have learned. There is a lot more. I am so glad that we get to be on this adventure together as a family. I love my husband and kids more each day! They make me want to be a better wife and mother. 

Colt said that he learned: I learned the same as Gen but change all the girl things to guy things, for example Relief Society would be Elders Quorum.                

                             In the next post I will share pictures and the stuff we did this past week.

Until next time. 

Love you C,M,B,C,E, and L.

No comments:

Post a Comment