Saturday, November 1, 2014

Winter Blues

So that time of year is upon us. The time when the leaves change colors and fall to the ground. The time when the air gets cool and crisp. That time when everyone is bundled in coats, scarves, and boots. That time of year that I love and at the same time don't love.

I have never been a fan of cold weather. I mean I tolerated it for 10 years while we lived in Colorado. I hated every cold rainy/snowy day. I sat in front of the tv next to the fire place with a hot bowl of soup in my hands. I often would take off to Las Vegas for at least a month during the winter. I get seasonal depression, but in a way I think a lot of people do. When the weather is cold and the skies are gray, that is kind of how I feel inside.

It has been 944 days since I have had to deal with living through an actual winter. That is 2 years and 7 months! Our last 2 winter seasons have been spent in places where "winter" doesn't really exist.  Minus our one week in Colorado and the crazy 24 hour "snowpocalypse" in TX it has been more than 2 1/2 years of perfect weather. What more could you expect from Texas and San Diego in the winter. Sadly my beautiful weather streak is at an end. (I am literally fighting back tears).

Welcome to fall in the North East! Where it seems to always be raining, cloudy, windy and COLD!! I for one am not a fan. Wait the one thing that has been great is watching the colors of the leaves change, but it is a little sad because I know in about a week all that will be left of the beautiful maple trees are ugly naked branches.

The one plus about this weather is the cute clothes. Unfortunately for me I am short and round, and have been cursed with my mother's fat calfs. So the cute layers and the great sweaters only make me look shorter and rounder, and it is nearly impossible to find cute boots in the "wide calf" section, and even if I did find some boots they would make my legs look even shorter.

Today is November 1st, and in line with the past few weeks is has been cold ,windy and rainy.

We had a wonderful Halloween with new friends. A fabulous Ward Fall Festival (for my West coast friends it was inside the building, there was no trunk or treat because our building parking lot has only 8 parking spots).

I will get through this New York City winter by looking forward to each holiday event, that I have always dreamed of attending here in the BIG APPLE!! Up first, The Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade! Then the Christmas Tree Lighting at Rockefeller Center! Then New Years Eve in Time Square! Then the St Patrick's Day Parade!! I will survive this winter from event to event!


Bobby pushing all the kids on the swings!

Our favorite local park.

The kids loved this tiny deer at the Queens zoo.



Lindy
Eva
CJ



Malayna
Bobby 



Snow White and the Poisonous Apple

left to right- Bobby, Eva, Lindy, CJ, and Malayna

Trick or treating with friends. 3 families 15 kids!!

No comments:

Post a Comment