Monday, March 9, 2015

A Glimpse of Spring

     I think (fingers crossed) that winter is almost over. I survived, barely, but I survived! 

     Today was a wonderful glimpse into spring. The temperature was perfect, the high in Manhattan today was 66*F! The city is beginning to defrost. I decided that I could not waste this amazing weather, because I have been looking forward to it and I don't know how long it will last. 

     I told everyone to get dressed and ready. Packed the back pack with a few essentials while the kids quickly did some school work. Grabbed the metro cards and walked out the door. I had one idea of what to do but wasn't sure how well it would work, other than that I didn't know what we were going to do or when we would be home. All I knew was it was going to be a fun day.

     ICE SKATING!!! Back in December when the kids and I were cutting through Central park after an eye doctor appointment we came across an ice skating rink (Trump Rink). Hoping that it would be open, it was our first stop of the day. It was open!! Colt and I had no idea how this was going to work. He wasn't going to skate, just hang out on the side and take pictures. I was skating alone with 5 kids that have never ice skated before. *FUN* First of all I was amazed at how perfect the weather was, because we were skating outside. After we laced up 6 pairs of skates it was time to hit the ice. I was ready for tears and cries of frustration. So I was surprised when I didn't see or hear any(except when it was time eat lunch and time to leave). Most of the kids were naturals on the ice. I was impressed by how quickly M, B and E picked it up. C had a bit of a hard time but he never gave up, just kept trying and trying. After a few laps around holding L's hands she was starting to let go of my hands. She wanted to be like her "friends"(sisters and brothers). What do you know our 2 year old was skating short distances with out my help. Since the weather was so warm the ice was melting in some spots, and when the kids would fall there, it was like sitting in a bathtub fully dressed. Over all everyone had fun and it was a great couple of hours making life time memories. 

     After we got everyone as dry as we could (thank goodness I threw a couple of extra clothes for the little ones in the backpack) we headed on a walk through Central park. As we were walking I pulled out my phone and searched for things to do nearby. Next stop the American Natural History Museum.

     Found our way to Central Park west and 63rd and jumped on a bus to 79th(NYC has the best public transportation ever). We get up to the counter to buy tickets, 2 adults 5 kids. 
The lady asks, "How much do you want to pay?"  
WHAT? How much do I want to pay? I asked her how much would it be, $110.
"Well, I will give you $40." 
"Here are your tickets, have a great day."
BEST DEAL OF THE DAY and it could have been better(if I decided to pay less, the guy in front of us payed $5 for 2 tickets). We walked around looking at all the amazing things for a few hours. We learned a lot and saw a lot. We all enjoyed our time there and plan to go back to finish the floors we didn't get to. Finally, it was time to go. Kids were tired and hungry.

     We had a delicious dinner at The Shake Shack(for my friends out west it was kind of like a cross between Smash Burger and Culver's). Then we made our way to the subway to head home. 

     It was a great day. I am so excited to see and do NYC as the weather warms up. Hopefully this beautiful weather is here to stay, but if not this wonderful day will surely hold me over.

Until next time. I love you C,M,B,C,E and L.

Mom and L skating!

M and B encouraging C to keep it up.

Mom, L, M and C skating!


Bobby with the dino tail.

L wanted a picture with these statues from Mexico.

Dad, M,C,B,E and T-Rex!

Eva!!

Lindy!

When I get time I will have to look up why the "u" is a "v".

This was a mosaic art piece on the wall at the bottom of the stairs at the subway.
The kids loved it . E and C are pretending to swim. B and M are pretending
to hold their breath.




These are just a few pictures from my phone. I will update and post more pictures and videos soon(when I get more than 5 minutes to go through the other camera.

2 comments:

  1. What a fun day! I'm glad that spring is on the way for you guys.

    ReplyDelete